Skip to content

PROFINET Import GSDML File (Interface Submodule is Missing)

Does someone have the capabilities to run a GSDML file through the Profibus.com PROFINET GSD Checker?

The manufacture provides this file for a left/right motor but it is failing on import with the error. "Failed to import device Standard, no PDev. Interface submodule is missing" I have tried to import the file in ABB and that did work. I have asked the company for a newer version of the GSDML file, but this one is the newest.

Is it perhaps possible that it has to do with the profinet version?

Here is the link to the GSDML file. 

https://novantaims.com/download/profinet-application-firmware-version-3-0-0-3-and-gsdml-file/

Thank you in advanced.. 

Comments

• Here is the result using the GSDML file GSDML-V2.2-mdrive-SchneiderElectic-20130530.xml

• Thanks for the fast response, any idea why it is not possible to import the GSDML file into PLCnext Engineer? I currently use Version 2022.0.4 (LTS). I also tried importing the file with Version 2022.6. But the program gave me the same error.

• The GSDML file includes this:

And on this page:

... it says this:

So I'm fairly sure it's the profile version that is the problem.

Earlier versions of PLCnext Engineer gave an error message about this, so I will ask why the latest versions of PLCnext Engineer do not.

• edited September 2022

Correction:

The "ProfileRevision" in the GSDML file is not the GSDML version number - my mistake.

The GSDML file says that it complies with GSDML schema version 2.2, which is why PLCnext Engineer did not give an error message about the version number.

It seems that PLCnext Engineer was expecting more information in the GSDML file, which it did not find.

I will ask about this and let you know.

• Hey Martin,

Do you have any updates on the GSDML file?

• At this stage it looks like the GSDML file complies with version 2.2 of the specification, but it also looks like PLCnext Engineer requires additional (optional) fields in the GSDML file. This requirement does not appear to be documented anywhere, so the question is working its way through the PLCnext Engineer support team.

I will update this thread as soon as I see an answer from them.

• Hello Martin,

Any new updates from the PLCnext team on the GSDML file?

Personally, I think I have found something. As I had mentioned, I have already tried importing the GSDML file on other PLC's. So on the software from ABB, the GSDML file does work. What I noticed was that with the ABB software, there are 2 more files displayed that are not displayed on the PLCnext.

Importing GSDML file on ABB:

Importing GSDML file on PLCNext:

So I think that the error message that PLCnext gives means that these two submodules are missing.

So now I still have the question why PLCnext engineer cannot read this GSDML file properly and is missing the submodules?

Thank you in advance for the help.

• Sorry for the delay.

At the moment the problem appears to be that, while the Info Center states that PLCnext Engineer supports GSDML version 2.2, PLCnext Engineer actually has two additional requirements: 

• The GSDML file must contain the attribute DeviceAccessPointItem/@PNIO_Version, which is not mandatory in GSDML version 2.2.
    • The value of the PNIO_Version attribute in the GSDML file must be greater than or equal to "V2.0".

If those two conditions are satisfied, then other GSDML elements become mandatory, like the presence of a  SystemDefinedSubmoduleList section, which is what causes the error message you saw.

I have asked that the Info Center be updated to include this information.

• Hey Martin,

Thanks a lot. I have made some changes in the GSMDL file and now I am able to import it in to PLCnext engineer. Still the GSDML file won't work on PLCnext engineer. I have also tried using the rewritten GSDML file on an ABB PLC and there it does work.

I am still getting a warning on the Online Devices tab for profinet.

I am also getting errors that I cannot connect to the device:

I added the GSDML file over here:

Any idea why I am unable to connect to the motor? I am able to connect to other devices with the PLCnext.

Thanks in advance,

Hidde

• That new GSDML file fails the Profinet validation check with these errors:

You will need to check the GSDML specification to fix these errors. If there are still problems with a GSDML file that passes the check, I will ask the Engineer support team to take a look.

• Thanks I will take a look into it, and let you know.

• Hey Martin,

I rewrote the GSDML file from a template in the hope that that removes the errors. Could you do a GSDML check for this one?

• Here is the result of the GSD check:

• This one should have solved these problems.

• The GSD Checker does not report any errors with that file.

• edited October 2022

That's good to hear, Still the GSDML file does not work on PLCnext. The GSDML file does work on ABB when the submodules that had to be added are disabled, Is there possibility to delete/disable the submodules after importing them on the PLCnext?

When I try to disable it I get this error message:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.