Installing Balena engine

Hi,

I want to run a docker container on my EPC1522 via balena engine. Now I am running the codes on the device via ssh. However, I have not been able to install balena engine as roots. Following the guide in Docker_GettingStarted github, I run into this problem while I am cloning the repository.

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/PLCnext/Docker_GettingStarted.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com

I tried to download the repository and copy them into the device, but again I am facing this proble wehn I want to run ./setup.sh
Starting Balena installation…
Balena Version is not available for x86_64!

It seems that the code fails to validate any URL I give to it.

I have already updaed the framework: HW: 02 FW: 2023.0.5 LTS

Can you please help me how to solve this?
Thank you

Does your PLCnext Control device have access to the Internet?
To test this, you can try pinging any public DNS name from an ssh session, e.g. ping phoenixcontact.com
If that doesn’t work, then you will need to make sure that the PLCnext Control device:

                              * is on the same network as an internet router, and
                              * has the Gateway IP address set to the IP address of the router.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I can’t ping the DNS names, and it seems that the device doesn’t have access to the internet.
I have modified the network configuration setting (assigned one IP address, modified the default gateway).
I can access to the device with the defined IP via SSH and the opening the UI in the browser, but as you mentioend the device seems not to have access to the internet.
On the PLCnext store configuration, I have
PLCnext Store Status = The PLCnext Store service is not reachable. No domain name (DNS) resolution possible. No internet connection.
PLCnext Store Connection = offline, trying to connect to the Store. Check the PLCnext Store Status in case of problems

Also , when I try to open websites from the device UI interface, I see the following error,
Failed to load URL: https://127.0.0.1/wbm

Do you know what the problem can be ?
Thanks

The problem with the internet connection should just be an Ethernet configuration issue.
What is the IP address and subnet mask of the internet router on the LAN?
What is the IP address and subnet mask of the EPC?
What is the Gateway IP address of the EPC?
Can you ping the IP address of the Internet router from the EPC?

I am using WLAN interface as default connection.
For my router I have:
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.25.1
And on the device for WLAN setting I have used:
IP Address …172.25.25.249
Subnet Mask .. 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.. 172.25.25.1
DNS Server addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I can ping 172.25.25.1 from my device

Are you opening an ssh session on the EPC via WiFi, or via the RJ45 ethernet adapter?
Is the default route via the IP address of the WiFi adapter? (You can see this using the command ip route)
If not, then maybe it is trying to route Ethernet comms through the RJ45 adapter, and not the WiFi adapter.

Thanks for your reply,
I am opening ssh via WiFi, there is nothing connected to the RJ45 adapter.
And from “ip route” the default route is :
default via 172.25.25.1 dev wlp2s0

I assume you’re running the SSH client on a PC. Does that PC have the same default gateway on its WiFi adapter, i.e. 172.25.25.1 ?
Can that PC access the internet, e.g. can the PC ping phoenixcontact.com ?

Yes, I am running ssh on my PC and it has the same default gateway.
The PC does have access to the internet and can ping phoenixcontact.com

That’s strange. Maybe there’s some network configuration setting that is blocking traffic from the EPC.
Can the EPC ping public IP addresses on the internet (e.g. 209.85.203.147 - www.google.com), or is it only DNS names that don’t work?
Is the network your own private network, or is it (for example) a corporate network? If the latter, are you able to ask the network administrator for help?

Yes, the EPC can ping public IP addresses, but not the names, so for example it worked with pinging 209.85.203.147
but when pinging www.google.com it gives the following error:
- → bad address ‘www.google.com’
The network is not private, I will try asking the network administrator for help.
Thank you for your guidance.

Ok, I should have asked that question a lot earlier :slight_smile:
So the EPC does have access to the internet, it’s just that domain name resolution is not working.
Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the EPC ?
Was the DNS server assigned to that interface manually, in the /etc/network/interfaces file? If so, are you sure that the format of the DNS server entry in that file is correct?
In any case, hopefully the network administrator can help to solve the problem.

It seems that this was DNS issue, I managed to solve it by following the instruction here.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/886359/ping-8-8-8-8-works-but-ping-www-google-com-doesnt
Thanks Martin for your help

I’m glad you found a solution.
DNS lookup should also work if this line appears in the WiFi adapter configuration in the file /etc/network/interfaces :
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
If that doesn’t work in your case, then I don’t know why that would be. But it’s great that you have a solution that works.